Genocide Victims Museum sends an invitation to interested scientists/researchers to apply for participation in the international scientific conference „80 Years of the Term Genocide – Case Study: Genocide against the Serbs, Jews and Roma in the Independent State of Croatia“ (Belgrade, November 8th and 9th 2023)
The occasion for the gathering is the 80th anniversary (1944-2024) since Raphael Lemkin coined the term or defined the term genocide.
The conference will be dedicated to the consideration of legal and academic definitions of the concept of genocide through the prism of crimes committed against the Serbs, Jews and Roma on the territory of the Independent State of Croatia (ISC), the crimes committed in that area, the context in which they took place, the consequences that the crimes caused and the legacy they left behind.
The event will bring together scientists from the field of history and other related sciences.
Papers presented at the conference will be published in the proceedings in a bilingual Serbian and English edition during 2024.
Recommended topics to submit are as follows:
– The concept of genocide and its interpretations in historiography and law;
– The ideological basis and legislative practice of genocide in the ISC (Independent State of Croatia);
– State, institutions, political organizations and movements as carriers of genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity;
– Genocide against the Serbs in the ISC;
– Holocaust in the ISC;
– Genocide of Roma in the ISC;
– War crimes committed in the territory of the ISC;
– the suffering of children in the ISC;
– Executors, rescuers and observers;
– The issue of determining the number of victims of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia from the territory of the ISC, i.e. in the territory of the ISC;
– Abuse of civilian victims from the territory of the ISC in the modern public space;
– Victims from the territory of the ISC in literature, film, in fine and musical art, comics;
– Culture of remembrance of victims in the ISC;
– Topics related to the genocide against the Serbs, Holocaust, genocide against Roma, war crimes and crimes against humanity in the territory of the ISC in teaching and school textbooks.
The working languages of the scientific conference are Serbian and English.
Applications for participation in the conference (topic of presentation, abstract up to 500 words with keywords – up to ten and shorter biography up to 150 words) should be submitted to the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submission of applications is June 30st 2023.
Authors whose topics will be accepted for presentation at the conference will be notified by July 31st 2023.
Submission of the final version of the papers for the proceedings from the scientific conference by March 31st 2024.
The organizer of the conference bears the costs of accommodation and food during the conference, provides compensation for transport costs in the amount of up to 200 Euros (with adequate documentation of costs) to authors whose works are selected to participate in the conference.